Saturday, May 2, 2009

Dropped the big, "Oh, by the way I'm a writer" bomb...

So, I finally told my family about my writing last night. I've been writing since I was in the 3rd grade, but surprisingly, virtually no one in my family knew of this fact. I vowed to myself I would only tell my parents if & when I managed to secure an agent. If that day never came, then I would never tell. Then I felt my family couldn't label me as the crazy family member who wastes her time writing books with absolutely no chance of getting published, "How pathetic", they'd whisper at family gatherings. I was afraid they'd think me one of those people, you know, the ones who always say they're going to do all these interesting things, but never delivers on them.

My mother was beyond shocked at my news, utterly amazed that I was writing and even more amazed when I told her about my agent's background and the wonderful books he's edited and agented. She's already two chapters into my first manuscript and says she loves it. My mom is great in the fact that I know she'd tell me if she didn't like my writing or the story itself. I like and need this kind of honesty. She is not one to give praise just to be nice. So when she says she loves the writing and the story, I know she really means it! Thanks, mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message after the beep...BEEP!