Thursday, May 30, 2013
PROJECT MAYHEM: 700 Reader Project Mayhem Blowout Giveaway!: Hello, everyone! Project Mayhem DJ cat is back to kick off our 700 Reader Project Mayhem Blowout Giveaway!!! We have tons of prizes f...
Saturday, May 18, 2013
I'll be at the Magic Tree Bookstore in Oak Park, IL today, at 2PM for the Children's Book Week Authors Visit. Myself and four other children's authors will be there to talk about writing, read a little from our books, and of course, sign them! Hope to see you there and please bring the kiddos! Should be loads of fun!
"Magic Tree is delighted to welcome a roster of some of today's finest children's authors. Jerome Pohlen, Liesl Shurtliff, Amy Timberlake, Hilary Wagner and Andrea Beaty will be sharing their experiences writing both fiction and non-fiction books for children."
Thursday, May 2, 2013
Well, I'm back from the beautiful UAE and the Sharjah Children's Reading Festival, which was in a word--AMAZING! I got to meet authors and illustrators from all over the world and have made some lifelong friends. The event was fabulous, as were my talks with students at the Australian International School. What a great group of kids!
Things I learned in the UAE in no particular order:
- It is rich in culture and tradition.
- It is a wonderful melting pot of many different nations.
- Caribou Coffee is even more delicious in the UAE.
- Camels are big sweeties (at least the one I met).
- Do get to know the US Coordinator, Elisabet. She is awesome on every level!
- Bruce Coville is hilarious.
- Don't order the porridge if you're expecting oatmeal.
- Rugby shirts are very popular.
- It is a mobile phone store paradise.
- Don't get caught in Sharjah rush hour.
- Do eat at the 5 Star Restaurant in Sharjah--incredible.
- Do have dinner in the desert by candlelight.
- KFC is big there.
- Soda cans are smaller.
- Their duty-free rocks!
- Sharjah Hilton is excellent!
- Don't expect motorists to drive at any speed other than breakneck.
- If you want ice in your drink, ask for it!
- Learn and respect area culture and you can't go wrong.
- Expect the unexpected and if you ever get the chance to go--then GO! :)